Project: Feasibility Study on Cold Chain Logistics for Fruits and Vegetables
Client: Central Warehousing Corp (CWC) / Canadian Int'l Development Agency (CIDA)
Location: Punjab, India
Central Warehousing Corporation awarded CMC Engineering a contract to prepare a techno-economic feasibility study to develop a Cold Chain Logistics system for fruits and vegetables for the Northern corridor feeding into the Delhi market.
The objectives of the study were the following:
- Research general market information.
- Evaluate existing produce networks.
- Identify possible sites for cold storage.
- Develop various options for storage facilities.
- Develop method for maintaining raw material flow.
- Investigate import and export marketing forces.
- Planning of backward horticulture procurement network. Planning of forward linkages with potential suppliers. Provide site design.
- Investigate government subsidies.
- Design marketing plan.
- Identify partner for PPP agreement.
- Develop financial pro forma for the project.
The scope of work of the study included the following:
- A marketing study,
- A technical feasibility study, and
- A financial feasibility analysis.
The project was completed in 2004, at which time CWC entered into a JV agreement with a private investor for the implementation of the project.