Project: Intermodal Freight Transfer Terminal
Client: Coastal Containers Limited
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Coastal Containers hired CMC Engineering and Management Ltd. to act on their behalf as project managers in the construction of their new intermodal freight handling in Vancouver, B.C. They also retained CMC Engineering and Management Ltd. to design and implement all of the PLC and computer software required to operate the plant.
This facility, located on the Vancouver waterfront, performs transfers of bulk agri-products from rail to container mode. Having been designed earlier by CMC personnel previously under other employment, Coastal Containers turned to CMC to finish the project.
In addition to the classic engineering and management work, CMC personnel assisted the client in the following activities:
- Site selection.
- Negotiations for development permits (including defense presentations at City Hall). Negotiations with shipping agencies.
- Negotiations with rail agencies.
- Design of specialized truck trailers.
- All procurement and contracting work.
The site includes several innovative features allowing for efficient transfers with only two operating staff:
- Dual rail line indexer control from one location.
- Separate receiving hoppers for incompatible products.
- Automated container loading system featuring custom designed truck trailers and winch hoisting system (two lines operated by one operator).
- Computer based batch tracking system linked to order creation and execution.
The site is also ready for expansion into direct hit transfers from rail to ship of specialty grains should the need arise in the future.