Project: Plant Upgrade and Automation
Client: Froedtert Malt Corporation (now ADM)
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Capital Cost: $25 million
CMC Engineering and Management Ltd. was awarded the contract for project management, detailed engineering design, procurement, contract supervision and automation software development for this facility upgrade.
- Conceptual planning and implementation of three malthouses. Project goals were improve quality and consistency of product, to reduce operating costs by 30%, and increase customer service and company profitability by linking separate facilities together for the first time since the plant was built. All modifications to be performed with minimum interruption of operating facility.
- Development of budget and minimum cost of the project. Cash flow projections and implementation plan covering years from 1993 to 2000.
- Development and updating of schedules for design, procurement, construction, and commissioning of the works.
- Equipment procurement and construction contract tendering, negotiation, and award. Contract administration, cost control, and regular progress reporting. Complete responsibility for construction supervision.
- Design of new material handling systems to sustain project goals. All new equipment selected to provide minimum damage to delicate malt products.
- New green malt loading and unloading system for germination.
- New hardware and custom designed software to provide automation capable of reducing manpower and improving plant throughput. Automated kiln pull implemented along with automatic steep-ins, and inventory systems to name a few.